Day Tours From Bendigo - Numurkah
Bendigo Coachlines offer some great day tours from Bendigo in and around the surroundings towns and countryside. Our modern, well equipped coaches are ideal to explore the region. In this blog we look at Numurkah which is a short one hundred and fifty kilometre drive north east of Bendigo.
Numurkah is a quiet and unspoiled country town ideal for a day tour or perhaps a weekend getaway. It is also known locally as the southern gateway to the Murray River.
Renowned for having almost a perfect climate, Numurkah is a popular destination for many tourists and visitors. There is a wide range of accommodation to suit most pockets so you can spend a night or two just relaxing in the ambience.
The main activity around Numurkah is dairy farming but there are also numerous orchards and grazing areas also.
Before the European settlers arrived in the 1830’s, the region was mostly populated by the Yota-Yota people. By 1976 the township was founded and a couple of years later the railway arrived from Shepparton.
The town remained a small settlement until it became the headquarters of the Murray Valley Soldier Settlement area after the trials and tribulations of WWI. The post war scheme was designed to give ex-servicemen land so that they could develop it into farms.
Things To See In Numurkah
- Museums- On the corner of Melville Street you will find the Historical Society Museum which is located in a former bank building.
- Gardens - There are two great gardens to visit whilst in Numurkah, the Louis Hamon Gardens and the Numurkah Rose Gardens.
- Court House - One of the finest buildings to see in Numurkah is the Court House, built around 1890 it has a highly ornamental facade which is flanked by two wings with decorative verandahs. The old Court House now operates a arts and crafts business selling handmade crafts by local artisans.
- Melville Street Market - As the name implies this bustling market is situated on Melville Street and offers a fine range of wares including antiques and collectables.
- Monichino Winery - The Monichino Winery is definitely a place to visit for those who love wine. Established in 1962 the winery produces some fine wines including sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, muscat, shiraz, cabernet sauvignon, merlot and port. Visitors are invited to tour the winery and enjoy sampling the produce in the cellar door. The winery also allows visitors to bring their own picnic baskets and to take advantage of the barbeque, so you can sit back on the grass and enjoy the wines whilst having your very own picnic.
This area of Victoria is a quiet peaceful place, on a day tour from Bendigo visitors can relax and take their time exploring the quaint town of Numurkah. Why not contact us today and book a coach charter from Bendigo Coachlines. You and your party will definitely not be disappointed, and you can be guaranteed to have excellent service from the best Coach Charter company in Victoria.